Environmental Sustainability Expert in Banknotes
Type of contract: Fixed-term contract which may be converted into a permanent contract after three years subject to individual performance and organisational needs.
Who can apply: EU nationals
Salary: F/G band and benefits
Working time: Full-time
Place of work: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
You will be part of the Currency Management Division in the Directorate Banknotes (D/BN) of the European Central Bank (ECB). Our Directorate has 65 staff who work to ensure that euro banknotes are an efficient means of payment and that their integrity is preserved against counterfeiting threats. We develop and coordinate policies and activities within the Eurosystem and with third parties, in particular with regard to the design, development, origination, production, distribution, issuance and subsequent handling of banknotes. We are continuously working on developing and managing technical banknote specifications and the related security, quality, environmental, and health and safety management systems.
In your role as an Environmental Sustainability Expert, you will be part of a technical team of 11 staff members whose work involves multiple assignments related to the production of euro banknotes. One part of this team works on the environmental and health and safety aspects of the production and circulation of banknotes. This is done in close cooperation with colleagues in D/BN and also with staff members of the national central banks of the European System of Central Banks and third parties. The mission is to ensure achievement of our environmental and health and safety policies, and to collaborate on new initiatives within the scope of environmental sustainability.
To further enhance the diversity of our team, we particularly encourage applications from female candidates.
As an Environmental Sustainability Expert you will:
- review the environmental impact of euro banknotes;
- develop and manage projects and activities to promote the environmental sustainability of euro banknotes, such as the reduction of the environmental impact of banknote waste and the use of sustainable raw materials;
- draw up policies and proposals for developing the Eurosystem environmental and health and safety standards related to euro banknotes;
- provide technical support on environmental and health and safety aspects for current and future issues of euro banknotes;
- contribute to environmental and health and safety inspections of banknote manufacturers and to managing the applicable requirements;
- prepare complex reports, presentations and other documentation for a wide range of audiences, including Eurosystem groups and the decision-making bodies of the ECB;
- work closely with both the staff of the national central banks of the Eurosystem and the institutions and companies that develop and produce relevant raw materials and euro banknotes;
The position offers you excellent opportunities to work on a fascinating high-tech product and contribute to environmental sustainability. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a master’s degree in environmental or chemical engineering, chemistry, biology or any another relevant field, or a bachelor’s degree in one of those fields combined with a minimum of four years’ relevant work experience in the field of environmental management;
- demonstrated experience in the field of environmental sustainability or experience in integrating environmental sustainability into business operations;
- knowledge of environmental and health and safety management systems;
- an understanding of life cycle thinking, and life cycle assessment (LCA) methodologies;
- experience in planning and monitoring industrial projects (including in the manufacturing, testing and development of new products) and in the evaluation of chemical analysis methods;
- strong English drafting skills for the preparation of documentation, memoranda and reports;
- an advanced command of English, and an intermediate command of at least one other official language of the EU.
- experience in the preparation of environmental impacts assessment (EIA) reports, environment and social impact (ESIA) reports, environmental management plans (EMPs), and/or in the execution of environmental audits;
- knowledge of the technologies used in the papermaking, printing industries;
- knowledge of chemical analysis of paper- and print-related-matrixes;
- knowledge of waste treatment.
You also engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs
The formal title for this position is Production Expert.
The recruitment process for this position may include a remote written exercise and/or a Skype interview at the pre-screening stage and – if you are invited to participate further in the selection procedure – an on-site written exercise, a presentation and panel interviews.