IT Specialist for the ECB Innovation Lab
Type of contract: Fixed-term contract until 30 April 2021, which may be extended
subject to individual performance and organisational needs
Who can apply: EU nationals
Salary: E/F band and benefits
Working time: Full-time
Place of work: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
You will be part of Executional Domain Services in the Directorate General Information Systems, where you will join the ECB Innovation Lab, a joint applied research initiative with the Directorate General Market Infrastructure and Payments exploring how technological innovation could shape the evolution of the financial industry.
The ECB Innovation Lab is responsible for the following tasks:
- conducting research into technologies that could be applied to the field of market infrastructure and payments – in particular distributed ledger technologies, cryptography and cloud, as well as artificial intelligence;
- developing effective and illustrative prototypes which make use of the technologies above;
- participating in and coordinating European and international research groups.
To further enhance the diversity of our team, we particularly encourage applications from female candidates.
As an IT Specialist for the ECB Innovation Lab you will:
- develop and improve working prototypes for research projects in the field of market infrastructure and payments;
- contribute to the development and maintenance of the IT infrastructure that supports the research activities;
- conduct research on technological topics that are relevant to the market infrastructure and payments industry;
- participate in European and international research groups, helping to organise workshops or similar events and providing technical support;
- liaise with suppliers and service providers and assess, from a technical point of view, the solutions they offer.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to explore ongoing technological innovation in the financial industry, with a special focus on the field of market infrastructure and payments. You will also have the opportunity to improve your knowledge of distributed ledger frameworks, cryptography, cloud infrastructure and related innovative topics. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in STEM (science, technology, engineering or mathematics) or another relevant field;
- in addition to the above, a minimum of one year’s working experience in one or more of the following fields:
- elements of cryptography, including its applications in distributed ledger frameworks;
- cloud computing, including infrastructure and application development with various service models (e.g. IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, Serverless);
- distributed ledger systems (e.g. blockchain), including knowledge of frameworks such as Hyperledger Fabric, Corda, Ethereum or equivalent;
- an advanced command of English and an intermediate command of at least one other official language of the EU.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs.
The formal title for this position will be IT Specialist.
The contract offered will be fixed-term, the appointment being for two years as of the starting date for the selected candidate.
The recruitment process for this position may include an online interview via WebEx at the pre-selection stage and – if you are invited to participate further in the selection procedure – an on site written exercise, a presentation and interviews.