Space Optics Specialist
Location: Madrid, Spain | Full time, Regular Employment
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet’s resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Thales in Spain is a leader in technological solutions applied to Defence, Aeronautics, Security, Transportation and Space and, furthermore, is a global centre for excellence in Space, Security of Critical Infrastructures and Transportation. With a turnover of €320 million and a staff of 1,200, it exports approximately 40% of its total production principally to the Middle East, North Africa and Latin America.
Drawing on more than 40 years of experience and an unrivalled combination of skills, expertise and cultures, Thales Alenia Space designs and delivers innovative solutions for space-based communications, navigation, Earth observation, environmental management, exploration, science and orbital infrastructures. Governments and private industry alike count on Thales Alenia Space to design, build and deliver satellite systems that cover the full spectrum of applications: locate and connect people and objects around the world; observe our planet, make optimum use of the Earth’s resources and explore the Solar System… and more. Thales Alenia Space firmly believes that space expands people’s horizons to build a better and more sustainable life on Earth. Thales Alenia Space is a joint company between Thales (67%) and Leonardo (33%) and along with Telespazio forms the Space Alliance, enabling it to provide a complete range of products and services. Thales Alenia Space recorded sales of about 2.4 billion Euros in 2016 and has 7,980 employees in nine countries.
Position Summary – Key responsibilities and principle tasks
The successful candidate will work in a highly innovative environment and will participate in international projects for space applications in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers.
This job takes under its own field of responsibility all the tasks needed to define the optical subsystem of Space Optical Instruments and assure its performance, budgets and interfaces. The perimeter of the activity will require technical exchanges, on one side, with the Optical Instrument System Engineer and on the other side with Mechanical and Thermal Designers, Optical instrument AIT team and eventual Subcontractors.
- To exchange with Optical Instrument System Engineer to perform the understanding of optical instruments requirements and to flow-down requirements to the optical subsystem.
- To provide inputs to the technical specifications of the subcontracted optical parts of the optical subsystem (lenses, mirrors, filters, gratings…).
- To perform a technical follow-up of the subcontracted optical parts of the optical subsystem.
- To develop Optical models using optical design and analysis tools (Code V, Zemax, ASAP, Lightools…).
- To perform, as minimum, the following Optical analysis: optical subsystem optimization, tolerancing, performances, straylight, polarization, ghosts…
- To technically exchange with Mechanical and Thermal Designers to establish the environmental constrains of the optics, its accommodation to optimize the weight/volume of the instrument and propose solutions accordingly.
- To technically exchange with the Optical Instrument AIT team to establish the AIT constraints of the optics and propose solutions accordingly.
- To prepare/define optical test plans and related inputs (OGSE definition) to the Optical Instrument AIT team.
This position includes a mobility to TAS-F Cannes site from start date and during a period of around one year.
Education & Qualifications
- Graduate / Phd in Physics (Optics) or Optical Engineering
Skills and ideal experience
- Good knowledge of instrumental optics in space environment.
- Good knowledge of optical design and analysis tools (Code V, Zemax, ASAP, Lightools…)
- Knowledge of optical materials (from UV to Thermal Infrared) and processes in space environment
- Languages: English essential. Spanish and French will be considered as an added assert.
- Soft Skills
- Team spirit
- Good communication skills
- Willing to face new challenges
- Responsible, pragmatic, results oriented, agile and dynamic.
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies and to propose new solutions.
If you are dynamic and want to improve your skills being part of an active company with a worldwide dimension, we can give you the opportunities to prove your capabilities and pursue your potential. In Thales Alenia Space Spain every one of us is unique, with different talents, goals and passions. Are you ready to bring out the best in you?
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!